Default Font Size Icon

Undocumented Students

Undocumented Student Information

Wenatchee Valley College is committed to supporting undocumented students.

It is important to remember that the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (1974) prohibits schools from providing any outside agency—including the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)—with any information from a student's school file that would expose their immigration status.  Immigration status should be treated like other student information, such as participation in Running Start or receiving accommodations from Disability Access Services.

College employees should only inquire about a student's immigration status:

  1. If it is beneficial to the support of student's educational goals.
  2. To evaluate appropriate access to the same educational opportunities as all students.
  3. To ensure that students are exposed to learning experiences that focus on college aspirations.

Even after, the information given to the college staff should remain confidential.

On February 26, 2014, Governor Jay Inslee signed into law the REAL Hope Act (SB 6523) also known as the Washington Dream Act. This new law expands eligibility for the Washington State Need Grant to non-citizens who meet the program’s eligibility requirements in addition to all three residency criteria listed below. Students must:

  1. Have graduated from a Washington high school or obtained a GED in Washington, and
  2. Have lived in Washington for three years prior to, and continuously since, earning the high school diploma or equivalent, and
  3. Sign a HB 1079 affidavit (written promise) to file an application to become a permanent resident of the United States when eligible to apply
    *Students granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) must also complete and sign the HB 1079 affidavit.

The Washington Student Achievement Council has provided a new state application for students who are unable to complete a FAFSA due to their immigration status. This free application  known as the Washington Application for State Financial Aid, or the WASFA — will allow non-citizens to apply for student financial aid in Washington State. “WASFA replaces the FAFSA for undocumented students in Washington State” Upon successful completion of a WASFA, the college(s) chosen by the student will use the financial information provided in the application to determine eligibility to receive the Washington State Need Grant.

*Please note that the information provided by the student to the institution and the WASFA is protected and will not be shared with a third party, since it is protected through FERPA.

The WASFA application is now available at

A guide to understanding this law

Effective July 1, 2003, Washington state law changed the definition of “resident student” allowing certain students eligible for resident student status - and eligible to pay resident tuition rates when they attend public colleges or universities in this state. This bill allows undocumented students to pay in-state tuition rates. Although, this law does make college more affordable for undocumented students, it does not make these students eligible to receive federal financial aid. In addition, the law does not make these students eligible to work legally in the United States.

Do I qualify for in-state tuition under HB 1079?

Have you resided in Washington State for three (3) years immediately prior to receiving a high school diploma, and completed the full senior year at a Washington high school;


Completed the equivalent of a high school diploma and resided in Washington State for the three (3) years immediately before receiving the equivalent of a diploma;


Continuously resided in the State since earning the high school diploma or its equivalent.

If you meet the above requirements, then Y